Feng Shui for Beginners
What is feng shui?
When translated from Chinese to English, feng shui (风水) means “wind-water”. Feng shui is an ancient Chinese art of arranging your space in harmony and balance with the natural world around you. Your environment constantly affects you and your life whether or not you’re aware of it. At our Las Vegas furniture store, we believe that feng shui empowers you to improve every aspect of your life from health and wealth to relationships. The Las Vegas furniture lady, Mary Li, offers these easy feng shui for beginners tips to make every room in your house feel calm and happy!
Feng Shui Energy: Chi
Chi is the term for the universal energy that permeates everything around us. The main goal for the basics of feng shui is to attract, direct, and nourish the chi flow in your home. This then helps to support a good flow of chi in your body. Chi is manifested in yin and yang as well as the five feng shui elements: fire, earth, metal, water, and wood. It is also expressed in different colors and shapes. Each color and shape is an expression of a specific feng shui element. Choosing furniture with specific colors and shapes will bring different qualities of chi into your space.
The 5 Elements
Each element is distinguished by a characteristic shape, color, and set of attributes. Feng shui improves balance in all of these elements in your interior design.
- Fire is characterized by triangular shapes and the colors red, orange, and purple. Its attributes are passion and emotion.
- Earth is characterized by square shapes and the colors brown and yellow. Its attributes are grounding and stability.
- Metal is characterized by circular shapes and white and metallic colors. Its attributes are strength and independence.
- Water is characterized by curvy lines and the colors black and blue. Its attributes are relaxation and inspiration.
- Wood is characterized by rectangles and the colors green and teal. Its attributes are growth and expansion.
Feng Shui Cheat Sheet
Now that you’re versed on the basics of feng shui, here are some helpful beginner tips to get you started! Shop at our furniture store in Las Vegas with these tips in mind.
- Clear your clutter! This feels therapeutic and will help to lighten the load in your home. Chi can’t flow if there’s too much clutter. This is especially important for your entry way. Too many things blocking your path may limit the amount of energy entering your home. Choose your home decor carefully! We have a variety of shoe racks for your entryway at Jubilee Furniture.
- Introduce good quality light and air into your home. Light and air are essential for good chi. Open your windows, and bring in an air purifier or air-purifying plants. Allow as much natural light in as possible. You might even consider using full-spectrum lights. Add different levels of lighting with lamps.
- Place a fountain near your front door. The flowing energy of the water symbolizes money, which will help to attract more cash to your life.
- Attract helpful people in your life by hanging a wind chime that sounds pleasant. When hung in the front of your home, office, or bedroom, the sound activates more people to help you.
- Make sure your Las Vegas interior design encourages learning by putting books where you can see them when you enter the front door. This easy feng shui fix will stimulate learning for everyone in the home.
- Fix broken objects to get rid of unwanted frustration. Everything in your home must be in good working order. Your front door shouldn’t scrape the floor or squeak, and all moving parts should be secure. This feng shui fix will release frustrations and anxieties to smooth your life plan.
- Add new plants in your bedroom to liven the energy of the room. The added hope and cheer will spice up your love life most of all. Plants with pink flowers make this feng shui cure extra effective!
- Positioning your bed in the spot farthest from the door will put you in the Commanding Position, which allows you to be stronger, calmer, and in charge. Make sure that you’re still able to see the doorway and anyone approaching while you’re lying in bed. Get a metal bed from Jubilee Furniture to reinforce your strength and independence.
- To keep your fortune from draining away, block all water drains. Keep your bathroom doors closed, hang full-length mirrors outside your bathroom doors, and close your drains when they’re not being used. We have a large selection of mirrors to choose from at our Las Vegas furniture store!
- Getty Jiang